Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stats around positional drafting by rounds
The article does state it doesn't take into account your performance as a starter, just that you were a starter for multiple years. So Bodine, for example, would make this list.

Let me also mention the bolded statements in the article as takeaways:
- In the last 10 years, 38 QBs have been drafted in the 5th and 6th rounds and not one has become a starter.
- There is a very high bust rate for RBs.
- The first round has an 83% success rate (for offensive line). The second round is almost as good with 70%. Even the third and fourth aren't too shabby in comparison to success rates of other positions in the same rounds. (3rd - 40%, 4th - 29%).
- The third and fifth round seem to be good bets for picking a tight end.
- The first round success rate (for WR) is 58% and the second round is almost as good at 49%.
- Defensive line ties with running backs and wide receivers for the lowest first round success rate at 58%.
- If you select a linebacker in the first round, there is a relatively low bust rate.
- (For DBs) After you get past the success rates of the first two rounds (64% in the first, 46% in the second), there isn't a huge difference in success (24% - 3rd, 11% - 4th, 17% - 5th, 8% - 6th, 11% - 7th)
- If you want a safe first round pick, OL (83%), LB (70%) and TE (67%) have the lowest "bust" rates.

EDIT - Since this article is a few years old, I do wonder if the OL probability of success has gone down since then. I've noticed fewer OL being good compared to 5-10 years ago.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Stats around positional drafting by rounds - ochocincos - 03-19-2019, 10:54 AM