Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pelosi, Schumer To Trump: "Let's Debate Border Funds in Private"
(03-19-2019, 09:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Figured this could go here:
https://news.yahoo.com/scotus-rules-feds-detain-alien-192838679.html;_ylt=A0geK9qjhJFcKacAHDBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEycWNsbGxlBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjY4OThfMQRzZWMDc2M-

Are the Libs trying to claim that The rights of citizens granted by the US Constitution should apply to noncitizens and those here illegally?

No.

The Constitution says it.

Not ALL rights...but many.

However I actually agree with this decision.  If someone is released and their records show up a day or week or whatever later they should be re-detained.  Lack of speed in getting the records should not be the determining factor.

However I also agree with what Alito and Bryer said:

Quote:Alito sought to make clear that the ruling was not aimed at "extreme" examples of people picked up years after they have finished serving time, when they are leading law-abiding lives and have blended into their communities. Such immigrants can file individual challenges on constitutional grounds, he said.

But it would be unreasonable, Alito said, for homeland security agents to "turn into pumpkins" at midnight on the day noncitizens are released from criminal custody, forever unable to detain them without offering a bond hearing. Various deadlines suggested by immigration rights advocates, he said, "are taken out of thin air."

Breyer delivered his dissent from the bench, which is rarely done, to warn that the decision gives too much power to the federal government.

"It is a power to detain persons who committed a minor crime many years before," he said. "And it is a power to hold those persons, perhaps for many months, without any opportunity to obtain bail."

So long as individuals have the chance to challenge and to at least have the opportunity to get bail I'm good with it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pelosi, Schumer To Trump: "Let's Debate Border Funds in Private" - GMDino - 03-19-2019, 09:42 PM