Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOTUS reinforces Gov't's right to detain illegals.
(03-20-2019, 09:33 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, on its face I don't get this ideological split. It doesn't make sense to me to put a time limit on it like that. I say this without having read any of the documents pertaining to this case, though, so my opinion is just rooted on a surface level gut reaction.

(03-20-2019, 09:42 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t know what Breyer is talking about being a minor crime. These are people convicted of another crime that makes them subject to deportation.  This has nothing to do with being here illegally although they would be subject as well I imagine.

Just a clarification: this was about any immigrant, legal or illegal.

The liberal justices are concerned about a legal immigrant who committed a minor crime being detained without bail years later because of that crime after years of lawful behavior.

Conservative justices are concerned with putting a 24 hour limit on being able to address this. 

Seems like the two sides should have tried to put a specific window in place, especially since Alito suggested that doing this to someone years after could be unconstitutional, though he suggested that individual would then have to address that in court themselves. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: SCOTUS reinforces Gov't's right to detain illegals. - BmorePat87 - 03-21-2019, 10:58 AM