Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOTUS reinforces Gov't's right to detain illegals.
(03-21-2019, 11:08 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I got that although I may have said it poorly.  

It has to be a crime that would make you eligible for deportation.  Do misdemeanors qualify?

Immigration law doesn't follow the same levels of crime that most of us are familiar with. Some misdemeanors may be enough for deportation while some felonies may not necessarily be grounds for deportation (I'm not sure on that one, but it could technically be possible).

The general idea is captured here:
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/crimes-that-will-make-immigrant-deportable.html
Quote:"Crimes of moral turpitude" (or "CMTs") are not well defined in U.S. immigration law. However, courts have weighed in on the matter, and the Department of State's guidance notes that the most common elements of a moral turpitude crime will include "fraud, larceny, and intent to harm persons or things." (9 FAM 302.3-2(B)(2)(U).)

Crimes involving dishonesty and theft will almost always be considered crimes of moral turpitude. Other examples would be assault with the intent to rob or kill, spousal abuse, and aggravated driving under the influence ("DUI" or "DWI").
As there are too many examples of crimes that have been found to involve moral turpitude to list here, it's safest to take a certified disposition of your offense (obtained from the clerk of the court where your case was heard) to an immigration attorney in order to learn whether your particular type of conviction has been found to be one.

Messages In This Thread
RE: SCOTUS reinforces Gov't's right to detain illegals. - CJD - 03-21-2019, 11:42 AM