Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOTUS reinforces Gov't's right to detain illegals.
(03-21-2019, 11:35 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Yea, this is a case of the Supreme Court passing a ruling that prevents a scenario they're worried will happen (not being able to detain an immigrant after they've been released for 24 hours) while promising not to use it as a basis for a scenario that liberals are worried will happen (a person being detained years after they've been released, despite leading lawful lives since).

How you feel about this issue most likely depends on how much faith you have in ICE being lawful, fair and unbiased.

If you think ICE will "hunt down" immigrants in an attempt to detain them and make their lives difficult out of disdain, you won't be happy this passed.

If you think ICE, generally, have the best interests of the country at heart and only wish to remove dangerous and felonious immigrants in a humane and lawful way, then you'll think this is a good law.

The worst case scenario is seen differently depending on your view point:
Conservative worst case scenario: An immigrant is released, goes into hiding for 24 hours, is now immune to being deported.
Liberal worst case scenario: An immigrant was arrested for something in 2006, was released in 2007, has led a perfectly lawful life for the last 12 years. ICE knocks on their door, detains them and forbids them from being released to bail for several months, if not years, while they decide what they want to do with this immigrant.

I can't say if either worst case scenario is more likely than the other, or if either is likely at all.

But it's definitely a victory for people who are not fans of immigrants, legal or illegal.

I don't believe they are immune to being deported.  It seems this is about whether they can be held indefinitely without a bail hearing while their deportation case goes through the system.  I hope nobody was arguing you should be immune from deportation after 24 hours.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: SCOTUS reinforces Gov't's right to detain illegals. - michaelsean - 03-21-2019, 11:46 AM