Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Betsy DeVos: Deep cuts to Special Olympics, student programs are warranted
(03-28-2019, 10:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: McDonalds Trump is reversing on cutting funding for the Special Olympics saying that he now supports it. Soon after, DeVos claimed she fought to keep the funding...

2 more years...

They're all cowards and liars.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/03/28/president-trump-restoring-funding-special-olympics/3302983002/

Quote:President Donald Trump said he would jettison a proposal to slash funding for the Special Olympics, undercutting Education Secretary Betsy DeVos and the budget proposal he signed.  

"The Special Olympics will be funded. I just told my people I want to fund the Special Olympics," Trump said he left the White House en route to a political rally in Grand Rapids, Mich. "I have overridden my people. We're funding the Special Olympics." 

Trump's remarks came after widespread criticism targeted DeVos' budget proposal to eliminate funding for the program, which is designed to help children and adults with disabilities. 

DeVos’ proposed $17.6 million cut for the Special Olympics was included in the $4.75 trillion federal budget that President Donald Trump’s administration sent to Congress earlier this month.

Trump, in his comments on Thursday, offered no additional information about whether his administration will commit to funding the entire $17.6 million Special Olympics had been getting and whether it will be protected from future proposed reductions. 

After Trump made the announcement, DeVos thanked the president and said they see "eye to eye" on this, adding she pushed him to change his stance on funding the program. 

Karen Pence, wife of Vice President Mike Pence, also voiced her support after Trump's remarks, saying on Twitter:  "Love the @SpecialOlympics!" Karen Pence led the U.S. delegation to this year's Special Olympics World Games in the United Arab Emirates.

It is not just Special Olympics facing the budget ax. Trump seeks dramatic across-the-board spending cuts to domestic programs for the coming fiscal year. An exception: the military, which would get a 5 percent increase under his proposal.

“Get rid of the fat, get rid of the waste,” Trump had instructed his Cabinet.

DeVos, however, proposed additional funding for a few programs, including charter schools and a tax credit for individuals and companies that donate to scholarships for private schools.

DeVos said she had to make some hard decisions after the president demanded across-the-board cuts and has had to defend her cuts to members of Congress, where she's faced days of being grilled. 

Earlier Thursday, DeVos—a wealthy Republican donor and former school choice advocate—was on Capitol Hill again defending the proposed cut to the Special Olympics to a Senate Appropriations subcommittee.

Trump signs the proposal...and blames "his people."
DeVos says she tried to get Trump to change "his stance."
Mother tweets her support...after the change is announced.
Sad people.
That they had to be shamed into makes them even sadder.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Betsy DeVos: Deep cuts to Special Olympics, student programs are warranted - GMDino - 03-28-2019, 10:21 PM