Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List Of LB Type Safeties We Need After Round 1
Again, I'm not saying don't draft a linebacker in round 1.

What I'm saying is AFTER round 1, we could use a good linebacker size DB.

Even with Williams, even with our other DB's, we need more help and dept at DB if we are going to be in the nickle 80% of the time as new coach says. Plus factor in injuries over the season. Good solid depth at DB is needed. Plus our linebackers don't cover the pass well, they just don't. So we could use one of these linebacker size DB's AFTER the 1st Round. AFTER the 1st Round.

So go ahead and take whoever in Round 1, but then start thinking about a linebacker size DB in 2nd or 3rd round. I'll add 3rd round because Bengals also need a top pick offensive tackle. We were weak at tackle and we just got weaker in off season. Yes we have guards and Centers, but the need for quality tackles at 6' 7 " or 6'8 " and around 300 lbs, yet still have quick feet to not get burned on outside pass rush, we don't have nearly enough of that to win.

So yes we need Linebacker. I add we need offensive tackle. Still, by round 3 we need a linebacker size safety if we are going to be in the nickle 80 % of the time. If we are going to be taking linebackers out to play the nickle most of the time, we better at least try to get a monster man back there in the DB's. I say in early rounds because he must have some talent, not just big.

I'm giving up on Ohio State QB even if he falls to us in round 1, the reason being the plan is Dalton in 2019. To draft a QB in One with no intention of playing him is stupid. So in first 3 rounds I'm hoping LB, OT, DB the size of a LB for all this 80% nickle D.

There are other things we need from Round 4 on. Certainly a good RB if one is still on the board, as Paul Brown said, it's hard to pass up good young depth at RB. Due to Eiferts injury's, a TE in late rounds wouldn't hurt. There may be a QB in rounds 4 or 5 that the new coach wants as solid back-up. Of course the Special Teams coach will want some late round picks. If the Bengals get LB, OT, a DB the size of a LB and then in 4 & 5 get a QB and a RB, and a TE in the last rounds, that sounds positive to me. The new coaches may not be happy with Marvin's fullback situation either, which could come into play in late rounds, as could kicker.

On more thing on a LB size DB. If we are in the nickle 80 % of the time, that means not just 3rd and long or 2nd and long. On 2nd and 5 or 3rd and 5, you don't know it's not going to be a run. That is where NFL QB's read the defense, audible and burn you. That is where your linebacker size DB helps. Someone mentioned Polamalu. I'll go back further to David Fulcher or Ronnie Lott. I'll add more recent Bengals Nelson made big game winning plays on runners and receivers. Losing Nelson and then IIoka plus Hall and Pacman creates a need, even with Bates Motel. In 2018 opposing QBs game after game were finding wide open areas in Bengals zones, and going scorched earth up and down the field easy on Bengals.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: List Of LB Type Safeties We Need After Round 1 - kevin - 03-31-2019, 02:02 AM