Poll: (Read post before voting) How big would the popular vote gap have to be for you to call for the EC's abolishment?
I want to abolish it no matter what
1 vote
1,000,000 votes
5,000,000 votes
10,000,000 votes
25,000,000 votes
I will always support the EC
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College?
State rights matter. That's why we have the Senate. Far too much of "the federal govt should do this" instead of "my state and local govt should do this". If you don't like your overly liberal or conservative hood, you can always move to somewhere more palatable. Yeah, I have a problem with the majority, or even plurality, using the federal govt to dictate how the entire country should live.

Also, in your example, I believe the House of Representatives is re-apportioned with the census every 10 years. So, in fact, your 1/3 of states with 2/3 the people have a little over 60% of the electoral votes, which is not a huge gap relative to 2/3 the population. And regional/local/cultural issues do factor heavily in voting, so perhaps the "one person one vote" is not as imbalanced as perceived.

I don't see what continues to be so complicated about this subject. The House is proportionate representation, the Senate is equal representation for the states, and POTUS is an average of the two weighted toward proportionate representation. People who want to do away with the EC are basically saying states shouldn't matter.
--------------------------------------------------------

Messages In This Thread
RE: How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College? - JustWinBaby - 04-02-2019, 08:59 PM