Poll: (Read post before voting) How big would the popular vote gap have to be for you to call for the EC's abolishment?
I want to abolish it no matter what
1 vote
1,000,000 votes
5,000,000 votes
10,000,000 votes
25,000,000 votes
I will always support the EC
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College?
(04-03-2019, 07:58 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Sorry, but the fact that the Dems ignore the rural areas is not a very good argument for abolishing the EC.  It would only give them more incentive, if any was needed, to give them less attention.  Also, a party ignoring large swathes of the country is not a good thing.  As blue as CA is the GOP has not abandoned it.  

Which, again, is exactly what happens on state level elections.  I don't understand why it's ok for this to happen at the state level, "because at least your vote is counted", and not at the federal.  Also, the EC doesn't reduce an entire nation's votes to 10 states, that's just how it often breaks down.  Honestly, the fact that there are so few "swing" states should concern you far more than the EC does.

Neither was I, but I can read books and watch documentaries.  I don't think anyone can intelligently argue that the Civil Rights Act would have won a national popular vote election the year it was enacted or anytime time reasonably soon after.

You're very likely wrong.  As recently as 2008 CA rejected same sex marriage by 600,000 votes.  We're talking about the most liberal state in the nation.  Same sex marriage is the Trump of issue voting, people aren't honest about it when polled.  I say this as someone who has supported same sex marriage since before I came of voting age in 1992.

I am saying that the leader of the United States is the leader of all fifty states.  That being the case all fifty states should have their say in this appointment.  A popular vote eliminates states altogether, which seems rather antithetical for a country called the United States.

You guys are having a good back and forth but a couple quick things:

Even in 1963-64 the polling was about 50-50 on civil rights, even if white people didn't want even equal blacks in their neighborhoods.  That site also has a poll saying a lot of the opposition came from a fear of communism.  And this site has a poll showing support for civil rights was up to 58% so there wasn't much blow back at all.  To me that means it wasn't "strongly" opposed before either even if it was opposed.

Lots of other info on those two pages too.

That CA vote was over a decade ago.  Same sex marriage was okayed by the SC four years ago.  A decade is a long time.  Six years is a long time.

And it failed for a multiple of reasons that didn't all have to do with "liberal" versus "conservative according to this article which also has a breakdown of who/where/how the votes fell. That aside it was a one issue vote versus voting for the POTUS.

Lastly the President of the United states is also representing all the citizens...not just the states that wanted him.  That's my only beef with that argument.  We let individuals vote for their state leaders and they should also vote for their federal leaders.  Each person counts equally whether they are in the country or the city.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College? - GMDino - 04-03-2019, 08:20 PM