Poll: (Read post before voting) How big would the popular vote gap have to be for you to call for the EC's abolishment?
I want to abolish it no matter what
1 vote
1,000,000 votes
5,000,000 votes
10,000,000 votes
25,000,000 votes
I will always support the EC
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College?
(04-03-2019, 08:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: You guys are having a good back and forth but a couple quick things:

Even in 1963-64 the polling was about 50-50 on civil rights, even if white people didn't want even equal blacks in their neighborhoods.  That site also has a poll saying a lot of the opposition came from a fear of communism.  And this site has a poll showing support for civil rights was up to 58% so there wasn't much blow back at all.  To me that means it wasn't "strongly" opposed before either even if it was opposed.

Lots of other info on those two pages too.

Thank you for the source, but did not the GOP win the presidency for five of the next six elections?

Quote:That CA vote was over a decade ago.  Same sex marriage was okayed by the SC four years ago.  A decade is a long time.  Six years is a long time.

And it failed for a multiple of reasons that didn't all have to do with "liberal" versus "conservative according to this article which also has a breakdown of who/where/how the votes fell. That aside it was a one issue vote versus voting for the POTUS.

I agree, attitudes definitely shift over time and ten years is a long time, especially in today's world.  That being said, I stand by my opinion that this is the Trump of issue voting, far more people say they are in favor than would actually vote in favor.  Even poll numbers on this issue are now backsliding.  

Quote:Secondly the President of the United states is also representing all the citizens...not just the states that wanted him.  That's my only beef with that argument.  We let individuals vote for their state leaders and they should also vote for their federal leaders.  Each person counts equally whether they are in the country or the city.

Except that we're the United States, not the United citizens.  I realize in responding to all these separate posters I am repeating myself in several instances, but the Framers acknowledged and emphasized the need to acknowledge states rights and their importance.  As stated above, this is a nation of states treated as equal even when they are not equal population or economic wise.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 04-03-2019, 08:33 PM