Poll: (Read post before voting) How big would the popular vote gap have to be for you to call for the EC's abolishment?
I want to abolish it no matter what
1 vote
1,000,000 votes
5,000,000 votes
10,000,000 votes
25,000,000 votes
I will always support the EC
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College?
(04-04-2019, 08:24 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I disagree. I've provided quantified evidence to show the arguments of "only a few population centers will be focused on" and "if we abandon the EC, that will cause many states to be ignored" hold no water. I appreciate your opinions, but until you have something to back it up with, I do not see how they can even begin to be considered as legitimate.

I do have something to back it up, a logical argument for the states maintaining supremacy in the election of who leads them.  You disagree with this argument, no problem, but I don't think you can logically label my position as illegitimate.

Quote:Only 2 of the 10 smallest states were visited in 2016. New Hampshire is a swing states and got 21 visits. Maine awarded proportionally and got 3 visits... so as it stands, small states are ignored. Using the fact that Maine is actually visited because there's a chance to win PART of the population and votes, logic would suggest that moving towards either 1) a system with proportional allocation of electoral votes or 2) a popular vote would cause more than 2 of the 10 smallest states to get more visits.

Would you consider Wisconsin to be a "small state"?  How about Iowa or Nevada?

Quote:Surprising no one, if you look at the next 5 smallest states, only Nebraska (proportional allocation) and New Mexico (potential swing state) had visits...

I suppose we really need to define what we all mean by "small states" to really have this discussion.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 04-04-2019, 02:01 PM