Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump backing down...on everything
(04-04-2019, 09:53 AM)Nately120 Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

I was born in 81 and my parents were a couple of ex pseudo-hippies with a sweet LP collection, so I learned a lot about culture and what not via music.  I remember asking my ol man why Yoko was allowed to scream during songs and what not and he said something to the tune of "Part of it is that he likes her and respects her art, and part of it is him wanting to see what he can get away with."  I also recall finding out what gay meant thanks to listening to Rocket Man by Elton John, hearing the part where he says he misses his wife, and asking my mom who Elton John's wife is to which she matter of factly replied that he is a homosexual.  I was like, 8 or 9 at the time and I was just like "Oh ok."  So as far as I knew, gay people lived in big cities and wore ruby-studded platform shoes and made kick ass albums.

But back to my main point, the more I think about it, the more Lennon's off-handed quip about the Beatles being bigger than Jesus reminds me of Trump's "I could shoot someone" quip.  In both cases there is a certain amount of criticism and amazement at the levels of unquestioned popularity they're getting.  I guess it makes sense that we put a celebrity in the white house and I start drawing lines to another homophobic, misogynistic, and ultra-paranoid celebrity who had a thing for looking down his nose at his fan-base, though.

I can only wonder who is next?

Damn whippersnappers!

I was born in 1969 and my parents didn't really care for the Beatles.  Dad graduated in 63 and went to the Air Force, mom graduate in 64 and worked until they got married after they met in 1968.

I had ONE Beatles album but more often than not our house had music from the 50's and early 60's.  It wasn't until I was a pre-teen that I started listening to the late 60's and then more modern stuff.  That I grew up to be a DJ comes from my early exposure to all kinds of music, not just the popular stuff.

So my knowledge of Lennon was limited to what I read in pop culture until I was an adult and looked a little deeper into the whole thing.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump backing down...on everything - GMDino - 04-05-2019, 08:59 AM