Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
What have the Bengals been doing right.
(04-07-2019, 10:56 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Normally I agree with you, but I don't think anyone wanted a mega signing. A mid-tier signing or two would've done just fine. A true upgrade. Tbh, I'm not sure how much we truly upgraded this roster. BW Webb? John Miller? I guess those were minor upgrades to Redmond and whoever our 4th CB was. When you're coming off of 3 straight losing seasons, I don't think that's getting it. 

I sense no urgency with those signings. Feels like a typical ho-hum day at the office.

I agree on the cuts though. Props to them for doing the right thing. That's something we couldn't count on in the past.

Leading up to free agency I kept saying that we should not panic if the Bengals don't make any big name signings.  I kept pointing to 2011 when we rebuilt our defense by signing three new starters in free agency.  They were not top tier players, but they were all solid starters with some history of solid production.  They were not the top guys, but they were not the bottom either.

However this year's free agency was seriously one of the weakest ever.  Webb could not even make an NFL roster in 2017.  Miller was a starter but a bottom tier starter.  Hart was a guy we were wanting to replace.  These guys are not even "has beens" that we hope to get another year out of or guys coming off of injuries.  These guys are "never beens".
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have the Bengals been doing right. - fredtoast - 04-07-2019, 01:11 PM