Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saw "Us"
(04-09-2019, 01:58 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Get Out is arguably the best thriller (its NOT a horror film) of the past 5 years and it is deliciously done; EVERY little thing, from dialogues, to settings, to colours, character motivations, etc., are all intertwined and all have something to do with something else; read into it on IMDB, TV Tropes, etc., where the film is truly broken down and deconstructed and you will find just absolutely stellar and brilliant writing from beginning to end.

Peele's films involve you digging in to get every little meaning and bit of symbolism, etc., to get the most out of his films (which I know, is not for over 50% of moviegoers nowadays).

As much as we disagree on videogames, you put every word perfectly there lol.

Us is more of a horror film (even then, wouldn't TRULY call it a horror film, but it checks off the list a lot more than Get Out), which is why I don't like it as much as Get Out.

Also, IMO, not written as well (with a few inconsistencies, whereas Get Out had nary a flaw in it's writing).

Right-on again.

Didn't like the film at all, but a fantastic concept, executed splendidly.

Again though, it isn't a horror film; its a psychological film that falls squarely and perfectly, into the thriller/suspense genre.

Aside from Walter's running and the (non-developed) scare-chord of Georgina following Chris, when he goes out for a phag in the middle of the night, there isn't a single classic horror-element, contained in the film.

*maybe* the deer at the beginning.

The first bold, I feel gets explained with Jason; the tethered CAN mirror each other, when they focus their minds to do so (Jason was only ever able to, "control," Pluto, when he focused and tried to do it); thus, anything that requires a lot of work and focus, would cause the tethered to do the same (hence why Red mirrors Adelaide while dancing).

However! We only ever see them do these mundane tasks or whatever, as kids (or younger people); once they are older, it appears that they have a bit more free reign (though this can be expunged by the fair-goers when Adelaide and Red first head down in 1986, as they are perfectly mimicking their above counterparts.).

Also, once they get above, we only see Jason and Pluto mimicking each other, not anyone else (adding further credence to the "young," theory) and I think it is implied that once they are above, they no longer are, "tethered," and can freely act as they wish (scissors being super symbolism here as well, obviously; fully, "cutting," the tether, by killing their above counterparts with scissors).

Its a long and not super-strong theory, but it does hold water somewhat.

The second bold I think is even easier; "tethered," only refers to the fact that they are, "chained," to their above counterparts. Thus, by Red going into the funhouse, Adelaide mimicked her very move, until they met face to face.

Again, now being above ground, she can act as she wishes, choking out red and chaining her to the bed. Once she goes above and takes Red's place, the mimicry continues, but in reverse; how that switch is enabled, is a bit of a mystery, however it is consistent with being tethered to your counterpart.

The rest, I basically brought up with my wife as the film went on myself, the rabbits in particular (about who is feeding them).

I gave the film a 9/10 and will stand by that.

But Get Out is a 10/10 Wink

It's a fair theory. But wasn't "breaking the tether" what defined Red from the other tethered? That's why they made her a leader, because she was able to not mimic Adelaide, right? Like you said, we see the tethered still do exactly what the fair goers do (from the roller coaster, to eating the food etc). And even after she was recognized as different, she still had to have sex and give birth to the same 3 family members as Adelaide does, so her tether was still well intact even as late as 9 years ago (assuming the boy is about 9 years old), whereas the moment she changed was during the dance, when Red was still just a girl.

I would give Us a 9/10 as well. A fantastic movie and, my God, Lupita Nyong'o is so incredibly talented (and beautiful). I almost rate it higher than Get Out for the simple reason that I was given the opportunity to watch her for 2 hours.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Saw "Us" - fredtoast - 04-01-2019, 06:10 PM
RE: Saw "Us" - CKwi88 - 04-01-2019, 08:57 PM
RE: Saw "Us" - BengalsRocker - 04-01-2019, 09:38 PM
RE: Saw "Us" - CKwi88 - 04-01-2019, 09:53 PM
RE: Saw "Us" - BengalsRocker - 04-01-2019, 09:56 PM
RE: Saw "Us" - fredtoast - 04-02-2019, 04:10 PM
RE: Saw "Us" - Benton - 04-02-2019, 01:30 AM
RE: Saw "Us" - BengalsRocker - 04-02-2019, 08:38 AM
RE: Saw "Us" - Benton - 04-02-2019, 10:57 AM
RE: Saw "Us" - Aquapod770 - 04-02-2019, 11:03 AM