Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Republicans vote against anti-bigotry resolution.
(04-17-2019, 12:11 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Where my Freedom of the Press folks at:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ocasio-cortez-backs-boycott-of-new-york-post-over-cover-attacking-ilhan-omar-214842479.html

Do we care this time if an elected official advocates banning a news outlet?

Personally, I've always had issue with it.

(04-17-2019, 12:20 AM)Benton Wrote: I didn't see where she was calling for banning a news outlet. She said it the front page was in poor taste, and agreed a boycott was warranted.

It was.

Do they have the right to run it? Sure. Was it most likely a partisan advertisement passed off as news? Yup.

(04-17-2019, 12:44 AM)Benton Wrote: Advocate a ban and advocate a boycott are two different things.

I'm sure you understand the difference, but for those who don't, calling for a ban would be prohibiting free speech;calling for a boycott would be accepting that someone has the right to say something, but encouraging people not to listen.

(04-17-2019, 12:51 AM)bfine32 Wrote: First you had issue with word advocate and now it's ban. 

Boycott "To abstain from or act together in abstaining from using, buying, dealing with, or participating in as an expression ofprotest or disfavor or as a means of coercion:"

So can we quit pulling teeth and say you're ok with an elected official urging the act of abstaining from using a public media because they don't like what it says?

"okay with it"? Well, she didn't call them "the enemy of the people" but I'm still not in favor of it.  Even Obama didn't say for people to stop believing Fox news...he just said they were biased.  I am "okay" with an elected official (or anyone) pointing out that a business did something in poor taste (their personal opinion).

But as Benton pointed out you changed boycott to ban which has a different connotation.  "Banning" brings to mind images of forced closed down, book burning, etc. 

What did you think of the front page in question? (Free speech/freedom of the press aside).  Was it in poor taste?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some Republicans vote against anti-bigotry resolution. - GMDino - 04-17-2019, 09:25 AM