Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Republicans vote against anti-bigotry resolution.
(04-17-2019, 12:11 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Where my Freedom of the Press folks at:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ocasio-cortez-backs-boycott-of-new-york-post-over-cover-attacking-ilhan-omar-214842479.html

Do we care this time if an elected official advocates banning a news outlet?

Personally, I've always had issue with it.

(04-17-2019, 12:26 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Didn't say she called for it; said she advocated "to support or argue for (a cause, policy, etc.) to plead in favor of".

But your good with it in this case. So we disagree.

(04-17-2019, 12:51 AM)bfine32 Wrote: First you had issue with word advocate and now it's ban. 

Boycott "To abstain from or act together in abstaining from using, buying, dealing with, or participating in as an expression ofprotest or disfavor or as a means of coercion:"

So can we quit pulling teeth and say you're ok with an elected official urging the act of abstaining from using a public media because they don't like what it says?

(04-17-2019, 01:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That she publicly denounce the article with calling for a boycott simply because she doesn't like the content.

My opinion on this matter is unchanged. I was equally adamant about Trump making calls to ban/boycott/don't listen to/ line birdcage with,....a media outlet. Unless that outlet advocates violence. This article did no such thing. 

(04-17-2019, 01:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nothing like a good semantics argument to avoid addressing the point.

You agree with an elected public official advocating a boycott of a media outlet, because they disagree with the content. I do not, we simply differ in this matter.

(04-17-2019, 01:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: An actual reasoned response and I changed it to boycotting. The difference in the 2 words meant far less to me than most. Hell you go to dictionary.com and look for synonyms for ban and tell me the first word that appears. https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/ban?s=t . Of course Benton changed advocating to calling for. But semantics often get in the way of things.

I think the front page was in poor taste and have 0 problem with private citizens calling for a boycott; I'm a free-market kind of guy. Turning the tragedy into a political tool is as bad as Omar trivializing the event

(04-17-2019, 04:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So that we agree: you support Elected Officials advocating the boycotting of media outlets, of which, they don't like their content. I disagree with that position.

I am unsure what "different point" I've been trying to make. Nor, what you've continued to rehash; seems you've just been occupied with parsing words.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cb787676f3243307756cf94]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some Republicans vote against anti-bigotry resolution. - GMDino - 04-17-2019, 05:07 PM