Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Let's talk about income inequality
(05-22-2015, 04:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm saying that there are plenty of jobs.

Many people choose not to apply for them, for a variety of reasons.  Perhaps they are unwilling to learn a new skill, unwilling to move to where the work is, maybe those jobs that pay will require them to put in more effort than they want to produce.  

My son got tired of minimum wage jobs (he's 19), he's now making $11.51/hr., working 50+ hrs./wk on a landscaping crew, in Cincinnati.  He tried his hand at a factory, paying about the same, but didn't like it.  Don't tell me there aren't plenty of jobs out there, when a 19 year old, that barely finished HS, with no skills to speak of, and very little experience or ambition can find jobs that pay a living wage.  He quit the factory job, started on the landscape crew a week later.  He's now looking to get his own place.

There are plenty of jobs, many people just don't want to work them!  Could be why we have such a problem with illegal immigration?  If Americans would go work those jobs, there would be no incentive for the illegals to come here.

Benifits such as health care become a factor when considering employment from both the employee and employer. Most factory jobs contract their hiring process through employment agencies where health care benifits aren't as enticing and sometimes not offered at all, not to mention the fear of the possibility of working through a temp agency and end up not getting hired at all. This screening process obviously works well for the employer and contractor but often not so well for the employee. Many times, unless you're a skilled worker, the starting pay through these agencies is minimal. So, minimum wage plus little to no health care creates a void where immigrants are willing to step in and I don't blame them one bit personally. I also don't blame the guy working at McDonald's who gets 45 hrs a week plus bennies plus free food for being afraid to switch into one of these contracted jobs. At least McD's offers a budget guideline to their workers for how to survive on their payscale, albeit a person would have to have superior self control to maintain that budget and well, it's a bit of a stretch to begin with.

The standard of living in America is such that people have come to expect certain amenities. Right or wrong, that's just the reality of being an American these days. I blame the baby boomers for that. They, after all razed[sic] this generation.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's talk about income inequality - Devils Advocate - 05-26-2015, 10:54 PM