Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
I'm Excited About Drew Sample!
(04-29-2019, 10:47 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: LB or TE...whoever we took in 2...we would have been reaching some. BUT, you don't take guys for where they are graded. You take guys that you think will be the best in your system and be the best Pros.

I agree. It's interesting because this draft had a lot of first round talent (a prospect you expect to start from day 1 or be a pro bowler within 1 to 2 years). It had a lot of 3rd to 5th round talent (a prospect you expect to start eventually but may need some fine tuning or they would need to fulfill their potential in order for them to work out). But it didn't have all that much 2nd round talent (a prospect that may start from day 1, or may start later in their rookie year who, if things break right, could be a pro bowler in the future.)

In that context, there weren't a whole lot of 2nd round prospects in this draft. There were so many first round prospects they started to leak into the 2nd round, but they were at positions we didn't really need, like CB and S. So we were in a pickle regardless. 

Our needs in the 2nd round simply did not align with the value that was there, so instead of taking a player who was "worth the pick" but would sit at 5th on our depth chart for 1 or even 2 years, we decided to take a player at a position we needed and just absorb the criticism for "reaching," even though our coaches insist Sample would have been picked in the 2nd round if we didn't do it. I don't necessarily believe them, but they know much more than me so...
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
I'm Excited About Drew Sample! - BFritz21 - 04-29-2019, 02:29 AM
RE: I'm Excited About Drew Sample! - 3wt - 04-29-2019, 12:35 PM
RE: I'm Excited About Drew Sample! - CJD - 04-29-2019, 10:45 AM
RE: I'm Excited About Drew Sample! - CJD - 04-29-2019, 11:06 AM
RE: I'm Excited About Drew Sample! - CJD - 04-29-2019, 11:07 AM
RE: I'm Excited About Drew Sample! - Bryan - 04-29-2019, 09:55 PM