Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we count the shooting at Chabad of Poway as a "mass shooting"?
(04-29-2019, 12:24 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Then why start a snarky thread about this that is seemingly dismissive of the idea that this isn't a mass shooting?

But that is a different issue. A failed terrorist attack is still a terrorist attack. What makes an attack a terrorist attack is a bit easier to distinguish, IMO, than the line drawn to determine an attack is a mass whatever. Terrorism by its nature still has some degree of success even with no casualties where as your "run of the mill" mass murder/shooting/whatever fails without them. Terrorism is also more easily defined than drawing this distinction and trying to qualitatively define something like this is more off-putting for society as a whole.

Snarky?

Nope.

I acknowledged that there are those who don't want to count it because "crazy white guy" but I wondered if the body count mattered because, as I said, even one person killed is too many.  I was not "dismissive" of the event buy rather asked if others felt it was a "mass shooting" based on the amount of victims.

And you did answer my question about a bomb versus a shooting, so thank you for that.  I know there have been multiple discussion on the board about when to call an attack a "terror" attack based on the definition by the bodies that investigate and handle such things.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do we count the shooting at Chabad of Poway as a "mass shooting"? - GMDino - 04-29-2019, 12:36 PM