Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The big problem is not Trump. It is "Trumpism"
(04-30-2019, 12:16 AM)Dill Wrote: I know a couple myself.  The charge is not that ALL are racist. Every person should be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Some publicly protest and criticize Trump's behavior, but will still vote for the tax cuts and SCOTUS picks. Or consider the vote against Hillary more important. It's a matter of priorities. But the result is that support/defense of Trump can't go forward without some degree of accommodation to Trump's nationalism and racism. Sometimes this accommodation leads to denial that Trump is racist , and of the national/international consequences of having a national leader like that. Until he publicly, unequivocally, and repeatedly condemns white nationalism, his election and behavior are hope and inspiration to white nationalists, who see in his election a step towards normalizing their views and certainly their policy goals.

When assessing the current Republican party, we have to recognize also that while some find the accommodation difficult and soul searching, many do not.

Well, of the Republicans I know, all of them say to me that they voted for Trump but with a bad taste in their mouth (anti-Hillary mostly, but a few anti-abortion people). Many who refer to him as a King Cyrus, whatever that means (I know what it means, I just think it's stupid). So I can't really gauge how many Republicans actually endorse his nationalism and racism and how many merely tolerate it.

I think the Republican party has become very skilled at desensitizing their voters to racism, such that they either don't believe in it (the idea that privilege is a myth, for example) or they actually believe the democrats are the racist party ("The southern strategy and party switch in the 60s is a myth" or "Discussing identity politics is inherently racist."). So I dunno. I understand the fear of nationalism that is breeding in the Republicna party, but from every Republican I've ever interacted with, it always seems to be about religion, hatred for Hillary specifically (and occasionally Obama) and, of course, good old fashioned money. I've not heard too many Republicans talk about how great the Wall is. I only really see that attitude on the internet.

That may, of course, be one of those situations where they say one thing and think another, but I can't really judge that. My perception has always been that it is closer to 80-20 in terms of tolerating Trump's shit vs endorsing it. And that 20% is purely from what I see online.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The big problem is not Trump. It is "Trumpism" - CJD - 04-30-2019, 12:26 AM