Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The big problem is not Trump. It is "Trumpism"
(05-06-2019, 01:45 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I fear the DNC is going to do the same thing in 2020 that they did in 2016 and put forth an "electable" centrist democrat who has retrospectively bad decisions, retrospectively bad votes and controversial social engagements in their past.

This will give people the false equivalency angle and justification to vote for Trump and risk causing the very problem they intended to solve. Almost like a self fulfilling prophecy.

Such is the lengths I fear the DNC will go to overcome their hysteria over Trump. "Electability" is a sham.

You make a central point about all elections now--the breakdown of political evidentiary and logical standards makes equivocation the currency of the realm.  Trump's win seems to rest on the suppression of the Hillary vote (via Fox and Putin) and direct address to a larger illiberal base than anyone supposed existed, rather than any really broad appeal.

But after two years of Trump, I think "electable" may be the way to go. Much could depend on the VP choice.  Bernie and Warren, no.  Buttigieg and Harris, maybe.  Or Biden and Harris. Or Biden and Booker. Bernie and Warren might make useful VPs. (They certainly know how to debate.)But not Biden and Bernie. 

The first few rounds of dem primary debates will tell us much more about "electability."

Finally, I would say that just as in the last election Republicans could count on Hillary hate to reduce support of independents, this time around there will be far more Trump hate than before. doubtful he will get Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania again, no matter who runs against him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The big problem is not Trump. It is "Trumpism" - Dill - 05-06-2019, 03:46 PM