Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Korea threatens to withdraw from summit with Trump
(05-10-2019, 03:05 PM)Dill Wrote: They had something to lose in 1950, yet they still committed forces to the Korean War to keep US forces away from their border.

And we should have fully commited at that time and kicked the Chinese back across the Yalu River.

Quote:Flip this for a moment and think of China invading Mexico. With much to lose, we would still likely get involved. Imagine yourself as President B'zona; I doubt you would stand for that.

Me, no. Our current admin, yes. Those Chinese commies could teach those Mexicans a thing or two about "proper" capitalism.

Quote:In the case of NK, a US invasion would mean millions of refugees pushed into China, many armed, and tremendous disruption. And why would they or Russia want a US "puppet" on their borders? 

You mean a puppet like Taiwan/Formosa? Or one like Afghanistan?

Prior to the Pakis getting the Bomb (with North Korean aid), we could have buddied up with India. This would have been a far greater concern for China than North Korea (which is part of how the Pakis got the bomb, IMO).

Quote:Also, it is not clear that the US could win a conventional war in NK without at least tactical  nukes. The North is a system of underground fortresses. No one knows for sure what the NK Army would really be like in fight.  But I'm thinking pretty fanatical, disciplined.
It might be they crumble in two weeks for lack of food or, or it might be Iwo Jima X 500. I'm leaning towards the latter. After a devasting air war, US troops would eventually have to meet them on the ground and in tunnels.

Facing North Korea alone with conventional forces is do-able. Even facing North Korea amd China is do-able. And if the other side decided to use nukes, either scenario is even more do-able.

Not sure why we are so afraid of China.

Quote:Then there are the international ramifications. Even GB might have difficulty supporting us, especially if we went to nukes. UN resolutions? Boycotts? World wide condemnations as images of President B'zona would be hung and burned in Beijing, Buenos Aires, Paris and Karachi.  The internet would be flooded with memes of your face wearing a Hitler moustache.

And then there is the home front. If victory, real victory, is not secured in a month or so, people would be calling the debacle "B'zona's war," unnecessary as "Bush's War," and worse than Vietnam. Imagine the thousands of protestors awaiting planes filled with body bags, while people like me popped up on message boards insisting diplomacy should have continued (even if wrongly assuming NK would not have had a nuke so soon).

Overrated, as the current administration has proven. Do what we want, put a spin on it, and disregard any nay-sayers.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]

Messages In This Thread
RE: North Korea threatens to withdraw from summit with Trump - Bengalzona - 05-10-2019, 03:52 PM