Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Question for all you Pro Life people
(05-21-2019, 02:07 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: People react to miscarriage differently.  But, I hope you and your wife are well.

https://reference.medscape.com/article/266317-overview#showall

What you described is in many cases a miscarriage of a pregnancy so early it isn't recognized as a pregnancy which is why the true rate is actually greater than the reported rate.

It was a set back, for sure. 

But my primary point was I have my doubts that the people drafting these bills actually have an understanding of the timeline for pregnancies. Saying you're 6 weeks pregnant does not mean the fetus has existed for 6 weeks. It's basically just a best guess because there's no way to pinpoint the date between the two period dates that the fertilization occurred.

Calling a 6 week pregnancy 6 weeks is merely a formality. My wife and I were tracking her ovulation cycle, so we have a pretty good idea (within a week) or when we believe fertilization occurred, but measured from that point she was probably only about 3 to 4 weeks pregnant when the miscarriage occurred. And we didn't even schedule a doctor's appointment until the 8th week mark because the doctor told us that they likely wouldn't even be able to find the heart beat until then.

So this whole 6 weeks = heart beat thing is not clear to me. Is that based on fetal age or gestational age? From my (brief) experience with it, it seems like the heart beat begins, at best, at 6 weeks fetal age. But the bill appears to be based on 6 weeks gestational age.

There are some Republicans who say that the 6 week time frame is more than enough time to get an abortion from the time the woman finds out to the 6 week mark. But even when we were trying, my wife and I only really found out around 5 weeks. If we weren't trying, my wife could have easily thought her period was just late that month, for whatever reason. 

For women not trying to get pregnant, 6 weeks seems like they have virtually no room for error. So the day after a missed period, they need to go get a pregnancy test and schedule that abortion, or else they're trapped for 40 weeks...

This just doesn't seem practical to me and it reeks of bad intentions. 

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the bill.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question for all you Pro Life people - CJD - 05-21-2019, 07:45 AM