Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Biggest Bust in Bengals History?
(05-29-2019, 11:53 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Just because Washington made bad choices with those picks doesn't mean everyone would have. Of course, Mike Brown probably would have. In the second round he selected CB Charles Fisher with the 2nd pick and that guy only played in 1 game.

Mike Brown's utter baffoonery was in full bloom. It wasn't until we got Marvin Lewis that we saw some sanity in the draft choices.

Exactly.

I have to correct you on Marv though. We started having good drafts after hiring Tobin. The 2001 draft is probably the best in team history. Justin Smith, Chad Johnson, Rudi Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh.

(05-29-2019, 12:51 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think a QB that fails such as the magnatude of Smith really
sets the franchise back.

how many QBs did the team go tbrough before landing Palmer?
Kitna,Mitchell.
No doubt that 84 Draft was a epic failure.
but 4 years later the Bengals were in the Super Bowl.
A LB or DE wont make or break a franchise if you miss on that position

It does. We had to pay Akili franchise QB money. Also, I'd rather take a DE who doesn't play over an all-time bad QB who does play and causes us to lose.

(05-29-2019, 01:36 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Akili Smith would easily be the biggest bust on a whole number of teams, let alone the Bengals; he's definitely it and that's NOT including the picks we missed out on.

After him, Fred's '84 draft is on point, Verser is up there and I still would put them above Klingler.

Poor Dave, he was thrust into a shitty situation, with arguably the worst oline in the league, with his only weapons being Tony McGee and Carl Pickens (albeit his first year as a starter). Jeff Query surprised, but who here even knows who Jeff Query is?

Harold Green had his epically bad year (2.7 YPC) and Klingler clearly didn't have the mental fortitude to rise above all this and his career was over after that '93 season.

Put in a better situation, he probably does a lot better than he did here, thus I wouldn't consider him an all-time bust.

Plus, his numbers are no Akili Smith.

Klingler in '93: 55.4% completion rate
Akili in 2000: 44.2% completion rate

Klingler in '93: 66.2 passer rating
Akili in 2000: 52.8 passer rating

Klingler in '93: 6 TD's to 9 INT's
Akili in 2000: 3 TD's to 6 INT's

Pretty much everything that Klingler did bad, Akili did much worse.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Biggest Bust in Bengals History? - Shake n Blake - 05-29-2019, 01:59 PM