Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Biggest Bust in Bengals History?
(05-29-2019, 12:51 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's gotta be Akili. Not only did we pass up the Saints entire draft, but the guy authored one of the worst passing seasons in NFL history.

12 games
11 starts
1253 yards (4.69 yards/attempt)
3 TD's
6 INT's
44.2% completion rate
52.8 passer rating

The guy was so abysmal in 2000 that we averaged a franchise record low 11.6 points/game despite a great season from Corey Dillon (1435 rush yards on 4.6 ypc). He was so bad that people were clamoring for Scott Mitchell, who was only marginally better.

People lump Akili in with Klingler, but Klingler's 1993 season (the only where he started the majority of games) was far better in every statistical measure, and Klingler didn't have Corey Dillon.

-------------

Honorable mention to Ogbuehi. That dude almost single handedly wrecked 2 seasons and set us back for several years. We've had players that couldn't get on the field, but the fact that Ogbuehi started 25 games puts him well above some other busts imo.

Others who deserve mention: David Verser, Ricky Hunley, Chris Perry, Keith Rivers, and possibly John Ross. I'm trying not to list guys who flamed out due to injury.

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking - it's Akili, then Cedric for me. Akili gets the nod just because of what the Bengals passed up on (NO's entire draft).

Can't really comment on guys like Verser and Hunley because I'm not old enough to remember them. You guys definitely build a good case for them, though.

I can't really consider a 2nd rounder to be the biggest bust in Bengals history, personally, so I disagree on guys like Irons and Thurman.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Biggest Bust in Bengals History? - NKURyan - 05-29-2019, 02:06 PM