Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ahh, another "Florida Man" story..
(06-05-2019, 08:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You don't know some of the hollows around my way, then. There are a mess of folks around here with the last name Fulk, and most of them have ties to a place called Fulks Run. It isn't named for a stream or anything, not as classy as that. It's named for a moonshinin' run that was in the before, during, and after the days of prohibition.

Out towards Elkton there is a family feud going on that could put the Hatfields and McCoys to shame. Worst part is that it's confusing as hell because it's between all these different families with a last name pronounced the same, just spelled a little different. If you aren't from their clan and you end up in their hollow, especially without an invite, you have only about a 30% chance of making it out. I'm not even being hyperbolic.

I can relate.  My wife's ex-husband is from Mingo Co. WV.  for quick reference, that's the WV side of Kanawha river, where the Hatfilelds and MCcoy feud still exists (sort of).  Anyway, back in the late 90's, when I was doing hardwood floors, I got a call from a shop down by the river (Ohio river).  The store owner apologized right from the top for calling, as I had never done installs for his shop.  However, he said that he heard that I did clean work and kept a clean, reliable truck.  He went on to say that he had a customer that was going to be hard to please, and hoped that I could do the job for him.  Not really thinking to ask him any in depth questions, I simply said "sure, I can get it done".  

So, on 1st morning of the job, the shop owner does the typical "quick quiz" as related to hardwood flooring and critical situations that might arise.  Once he's assured that I have the knowledge and tools for the job, he helps load us up.  Then, just as I'm about to head out, he pulls me aside and "briefs" me about the "strange area" that I'm about to head into.  Initially, I think nothing of it.  Heck, I was a Semi-Pro football player in my late 20's, I still felt pretty much invincible.  Then, I follow the directions to where the job is.  I follow the Hwy about 5 mi. into WV, then turn off to a side Rd., about 3 miles later, I turn onto a gravel Rd.  I then proceed to follow a network of gravel roads for another 8-10 miles.  Then, I start seeing these homemade signs, and I'm sure I'm where I'm supposed to be.  

The signs posted along the roads in this hollow were spooky, to say the least.  They would be anything from Bible quotes, with threatening text added, to such things as "this ain't your world here", to "you never walked a mile in my shoes", and more of the like.  I finally reach the house, and was promptly greeted by man holding a gun, wanting to verify my reason for being there.  (as if the boxes of hardwood flooring and tools in the bed of my truck weren't telling enough..)  Thankfully, my friend and helper at the time, came from a family that had similar relatives.  I let him take the lead on speaking, we made it through the 3 day job just fine.  However, if it weren't for Aaron knowing how to act around those type of folk, I might have misspoke and ended up in a world of shit..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ahh, another "Florida Man" story.. - SunsetBengal - 06-05-2019, 09:57 PM