Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rand Paul: I Don't Want a Government Shutdown, I Just Wanna Shutdown the Government
Like the fork-tongued dishonest weasel that he and his father is, Rand "Curly" Paul announced on CNN today that shutting the government down is somehow not an "either-or situation".

In Planet Curly, Congress can avoid shutting down the government by stopping all spending, taking a bunch of time to discuss each and every government program, and then forcing a Congressional supermajority to approve of renewing any government programs, one at a time.

Thinking people presumably wondered how Curly's plan is any different from shutting down the government, but undeterred, Curly assured cynics that as long as he manipulated his words carefully enough, his plan to shut down the government would not technically be "shutting down the government".

Quote:Asked by CNN's Wolf Blitzer whether he preferred a continuing resolution to shutting down the government, Paul said that he didn't think it was an "either-or situation."

"We should no longer continue to spend money at the same rate we are spending money, so yes, we should let all spending expire and then we should renew those programs that are working," Paul said."It should require a supermajority to get the new programs started."

That would mean shutting down the government and then getting 60 votes in the Senate to fund each individual government program.

[...]

"I'm not advocating a shutdown, but I am advocating that all the spending expire, that we have a serious discussion of every program to see what's working, what isn't working, what is wasteful and what is duplicative," he said.

Messages In This Thread
Rand Paul: I Don't Want a Government Shutdown, I Just Wanna Shutdown the Government - GodHatesBengals - 09-29-2015, 07:51 PM