Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More tariffs paid by US consumers
(06-10-2019, 01:53 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The post doesn't directly mention Mexico. We can infer that the post is referring to the deal worked out with Mexico, but the update doesn't change the OP's criticism of the tariff policy. Mentioning that the deal didn't end all tariffs isn't whataboutism. No "informal rules" that you have to keep track of.

Just stop it; everybody knows he was talking about Mexico as he mentioned it the prior post. These things work better when we are intellectually honest.

Dude obviously wondered why no one commented on Mexico being a success

A reply was What about China?

In my book that's "whataboutisim" or more correctly worded a  variant of The Appeal to Hypocrisy Fallacy. The variance being the intention of the reply was to slur the subject and not the messenger.   It was used to deflect from the success with Mexico

I shouldn't have said informal rules I should have said fluid.

WTS, I think "whataboutisim" can be used as long as it's intention is not to deflect from the point and it's a term I would only use in a facetious/ mocking manner.

Also I've derailed from the subject and for that I apologize. It appears Mexico is glad we didn't impose the tariffs and they appear to finally be acting on earlier promises because of them. As to China: Lets hope they bare similar fruit, instead of using them as a "whatabout".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: More tariffs paid by US consumers - bfine32 - 06-10-2019, 03:25 PM