Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More tariffs paid by US consumers
(06-10-2019, 02:57 PM)Dill Wrote: Two questions:

Was busting out of the TPP a good move?

The objections to the TPP were very bipartisan if I recall correctly.  It's been awhile so I don't recall specific issues, but, again if memory serves, there was a lot of concern about further job loss to low wage nations and inadequate copyright protection for US businesses. 

Quote:Can China be managed unilaterally?

BY the US, yes.  Of course, it would be much easier to have outside support, and in some areas, such as Huawei, there is multilateral support.  The simplest way to put it is that China needs the US, the US does not need China.  Please note I say need in the strictest sense, not implying that there would be no economic pain associated with a major trade dispute.  The problem with multilateralism right now is that Russia is on board with China to stick a thumb in our eye.  Europe is fast becoming financially dependent on China and Australia is having not insignificant concerns with a perceived infiltration of their nations governance by China.  Put simply, the US is the only nation in a position to put China in their place.  China has grown at the expense of other nations, they have never played fair.  They are also not a benevolent nation and I see them as a thousand fold greater threat to the free world than Russia.  We've had numerous administrations, both Dem and GOP, kick the can down the road on the China issue as no one wanted to be responsible for the possible recession that could ensue from actually calling them onto the carpet.  Trump, for all his faults, does not appear to be concerned by this.

(06-10-2019, 03:11 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: In all seriousness, since geopoliticial trade strategy isn't my expertise, I don't know for certain. What I would like to know is what is Trump's goal with the tariffs? What defined goals have been put in place that are firm and not shifting?

In a nutshell I'd think it would be for them to play on fair terms.  Our relationship, trade wise, is immensely one sided.  They also have been plundering US IP for decades without any consequence of note.  They are a less openly belligerent USSR and I have no doubt that their long term goals are not remotely peaceful.

Messages In This Thread
RE: More tariffs paid by US consumers - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-10-2019, 04:03 PM