Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More tariffs paid by US consumers
(06-11-2019, 02:25 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That's a lot of words to essentially agree with my assessment.  As for your perception of the perceived benefits, much like the detriments, they are exactly that, perceived.  Saying either position is/was definitive is speculative at best.

None of which omits the fact that China has its claws deep in Europe and Australia.  You also suppose the other TPP nations would go along with any action against China, a monstrous, and unfounded IMO, assumption.

Correct Xi won't stand for election again, ever, because he's a despot of an autocratic nation that stands against every principle of free Western society.

You just did a perfect job of explaining why every previous administration has kicked the can down the road on this issue.  Moral cowardice is not a virtue, even when it avoids near term unpleasantness at the expense of the future.

Quite honestly, historical grievances mean absolutely nothing to me.  China's action in the present are unacceptable and I could give two shits what historical wrongs they choose to justify their current actions.

This is both intellectually dishonest and insanely overly simplistic.  To characterize any previous US action as holding China accountable for its consistent bad behavior, e.g IP theft, currency manipulation, straight up piracy and slave labor is inane.

You're the frog that gets stung by the scorpion and then wonders why it died.  Myopic shortsightedness is also not a virtue.

Fallen short being an understatement of epic proportions.  I have to wonder why you strive so hard to defend such odious regimes/belief systems as communist China.

On this we agree, China's economy is a house of cards.  I have argued this since well before you started posting in PnR.  It is only a matter of time before that house of dry rot and corruption collapses in on itself.  I'm even in favor of anything, within reason, that will hasten this.  However, I see no reason to continue allowing them to rape the US economy in the interim.

Hmm. I thought I was having a conversation with you about China and US foreign policy options, not about my character.

Nothing in my post suggests continuing to allow China to "rape" us, rather I thought we disagreed on how best to stop that. Hence my reference to specific treaty issues, the composition and national interest of current CPTPP, the status of US international leadership, while attempting to view China from outside the new Cold War perspective developing on the US right. A diplomat or foreign policy advisor who "didn't give a shit" about how others view China or China its own view of world history would not be very effective.

In return I get a series of tweet-length "refutations," and learn that I am "inane," "intellectually dishonest," "striving hard to defend odious regimes," the "frog stung by the scorpion" and such like. 

So nevermind.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: More tariffs paid by US consumers - Dill - 06-11-2019, 01:09 PM