Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MD's AG hopes to bring gerrymandering case to SCOTUS
(06-17-2019, 01:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A week or so ago, I was listening to a discussion of the proposed redistricting of voting districts, as they pertain to NC, on Capitol Tonight. Capitol Tonight airs on our local Spectrum News Channel. I like Spectrum for local news as they at least try to appear to be unbiased in their presentation of NC news.

Anyway, what I found interesting about the discussion was that they mentioned that redrawing voting districts sometimes presents rather unique challenges, as they are formed by actual physical landmarks, such as rivers and waterways, etc., rather than arbitrary lines as with a political map. As a Surveyor, I found this quite curious as a map for political use is ruled by geographic features, when typically it's geographic features added to political maps to show their spatial relations to one another.

Yeah, that seems odd. I mean, there are arbitrary boundaries on political maps, but here on the eastern seaboard especially our political maps utilize geographic boundaries. Now, voting district maps will often use roadways as boundaries which is a bit different than most political maps.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: MD's AG hopes to bring gerrymandering case to SCOTUS - Belsnickel - 06-17-2019, 01:52 PM