Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The right's obsession with AOC
(06-20-2019, 11:43 AM)GMDino Wrote: Is that policy?

A search didn't show where it was stated that they could just "go home" whenever they wanted.

Maybe I missed your source?

I have friends who work in ICE, this is standard immigration policy.  I didn't find a link online directly to this US policy, but a quick search revealed the following from a uber pro immigration group

https://www.freedomforimmigrants.org/hard-questions

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]6. If immigration detention is so bad, why don't people just self deport?[/color]

Conditions in immigrant prisons and jails across the world are so terrible in part because governments believe that poor conditions lead to self-deportation.  In other words, governments are purposefully creating immigration detention regimes that are inhumane in the hopes that these unlivable conditions will force people to return to their country of origin.  However, many people are willing to be confined in deplorable conditions indefinitely rather than be sent to suffer possible harm or death in their country of origin or be separated from their family members already living in the country indefinitely.  In most instances of “self-deportation,” when a person in detention signs away their right to fight their immigration case, the deportation is far from "voluntary." 

(06-20-2019, 11:53 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I remember when we agreed on nothing. But I appreciate you injecting some rationality into the discussion and taking the phrase used for its intent. 

We disagreed on less then you think, and the topics we did disagree on we still do.  The change has really come from how far to the left many have gone while I haven't moved.  By my not moving we have gotten much closer to each other ideologically than I am to the current left.

(06-20-2019, 12:00 PM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah right... but that goes both ways.

Most definitely. 

Quote:E.g. I saw some of those public hearings in Congress, Cohen, Strzok and such. Pretty much every republican that was called upon went on a rant in those. And often not just accusing the other party of playing politics or such child stuff. Nope, it often were rants about imaginary scandals, within the FBI, on the judiciary level, illegal entanglements with the democratic party, with a deep state, totally unfounded conspiracy theories presented as fact. All deeply alarmist, all horrificly irresponsible to claim in public as a politican at the very least. Oh, and the constitution gets torn apart like all the time and the deep state betrays the will of the people by planning a coup d'etat and whatnot. How staunch republicans don't sit on the hills and prepare for anarchy already is astonishing.

Yes, I am aware of that and it's hyperbolic, unfounded and stupid.  

Quote:I mean, for me that was a bit crazy at first. Then I started to see it as US normal. It's what the media wants. But whoever is upset about these things (and of course with Trump on almost an hourly basis), I will believe is honestly upset about AOC. If not, it's probably more because she's AOC.

It's not the US normal, there are still far more people and politicans who are reasonable then there are AOC's and Steven King's.

Quote:That does ring true.
Can everyone leave at any time though?

As stated above I have friends who work for ICE and this has always been the case.  You are held in detention as you apply for entrance, whatever the reason.  If you choose to no longer seek entry you can, and will, be immediately released to repatriate.

Messages In This Thread
The right's obsession with AOC - GMDino - 02-18-2019, 06:49 PM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - CJD - 02-18-2019, 11:30 PM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Dill - 04-03-2019, 10:53 AM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Dill - 06-19-2019, 10:14 PM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Dill - 06-19-2019, 10:31 PM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Dill - 06-19-2019, 10:27 PM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Dill - 06-20-2019, 03:54 AM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Dill - 06-19-2019, 10:35 PM
RE: The right's obsession with AOC - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-20-2019, 01:17 PM