Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Wall Street pay off student debt
(07-01-2019, 08:16 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I held off on replying to this right away because I wanted to seriously consider it. I am of the opinion that, yes, the government should provide the option to "buy out" the contract of any person currently in the service under one of those commitments at the time of the debt forgiveness. This should be done because there is zero doubt that there are those that took that route to avoid the debt burden. I doubt it would be a high percentage that take it, but it should be offered. Any commitments at the time of the forgiveness should be waived (or the offer made, or whatever).

But, I am someone who is in favor of a civil service requirement in our society. Not necessarily military, but some sort of public service. That gets into a whole different complication, though.

I think those that are in the Reserves would take the deal more than those on Active Duty, but consider the ROTC Commissions +/- 6000 ROTC Cadets per year and multiply that by the 8 year Commitment, you are hypothetically talking about 48,000 Officers. Let's go l,ow and say 10% took the deal What is your plan to fill the void of 4800 Commissioned Officers? 

As I've said: I just cannot grasp the "fairness" of college debt forgiveness. If I were financially irresponsible and charged up huge debt at a prestigious Private school and you were fiscally responsible and incurred little debt at a state school . How is it fair that both debts large and small are forgiven. And I have the benefit of listing a much more prestigious college on my resume. 

I could maybe get behind us paying the interest on the loan or it to be discharged in the cases of bankruptcy (I get it's currently possible but not routine)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should Wall Street pay off student debt - bfine32 - 07-01-2019, 08:53 PM