Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL 100-your first memory of football
My first football memories were from 1972.  I was in fourth grade and that was the first year I played organized Pee Wee football.

I remember more about the OSU Buckeye games than I do Bengal games.  My first "jersey" (actually just a very large t-shirt) was a scarlet #45.  Back then very few games were on TV.  I remember listening to OSU games on the radio.  It seemed like every one was a blowout until we played Michigan in the final game each year.  Other than the famous tie all the other games kind of run together.  The first specific game I remember was the '72 Rose Bowl where USC's Sam "Bam" Cunningham scored a bunch of tds and USC crushed the Buckeyes.  

I can't recall anything specific about the Bengals '72 season, but I remember watching the '72 Super Bowl when the Dolphins beat the Redskins to finish 17-0.  I'll never forget the Redskins only td on the botched FG by Garo Yepremian.

I remember the Bengals '73 season.  Both Isaac Curtis and Boobie Clark were rookies.  Boobie and Essex Johnson had the greatest season of any Bengal RB combo ever.  That was just a 14 game season and they missed having two 1000 rushers by just 15 yards (Clarke 988, Johnson 997), and they both had over 350 receiving yards.  We lost to the Dolphins in the playoffs that year and it was not even close.  Biggest win was when we went to Minnesota late in the season and absolutely destroyed the Viking team that would go to the Super Bowl that year.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: NFL 100-your first memory of football - fredtoast - 07-05-2019, 05:18 PM