Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How much has this team really improved this off-season?
(07-18-2019, 09:00 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Things should at least be more interesting this season and that's enough for me.  I will say that ZT should make the offense more interesting, but I'm not sure how much faith I should have in a recent QB coach and a DC with a Zampese-style resume taking over what was a season-ruining defense, though.

Getting an old and proven DC to take that side of the ball off the mind of the offense-obsessed millenial HC is the norm now, so we seem to be taking a risk there.  So I can see assuming ZT is better than Marvin on offense, but it's possible we aren't better off on D yet.

I agree.  The playoff potential of this team will likely lie at the feet of the defense.  If they can be a top 15 unit, I give the Bengals a real shot.  They sure looked better down the stretch (although far from good) averaging 21.6 points allowed per game.  They did that with almost no offense to speak of (no Dalton or Green).

By simply not playing the stupid zone and playing to your secondary's strengths, they should be significantly better.  It's synergy.  The better coverage on the back end allows the pass rush to get home.  Better coverage in the middle with the LBs will have the same effect.  The defense last year (early on) just gave up too many easy underneath completions and seemed to hope for the other team to get greedy and make a mistake.  That didn't work as Brees almost went 100% completions and nickel-and-dimed them all day long.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much has this team really improved this off-season? - SHRacerX - 07-18-2019, 10:57 AM