Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The political bubble and how it affects your opinion
So this is interesting timing and a good place to put this news, as well. I recently resigned from my local Democratic party after about a year of being an active member. The reason I gave them was time commitments, but given that I just registered with the BSA again, it's easy to tell that answer was bullshit. What my issue was, and continues to be, is the lack of ability to see outside of the bubble by the party leadership and members.

The most recent example of this was due to a special session of our General Assembly called by Governor Northam. The intended topic was gun control in the wake of the mass shooting in a city government building that occurred here in Virginia. The GOP promptly voted to end the session within hours of it opening and with no discussion of the intended topic.

Now, I know full well that the NRA made that decision for them, they had their own war room set up in the Speaker's conference room, after all. But, the way the local Democrats went on about this issue was just asinine. One of the hot button topics was suppressors because the attacker supposedly used one. Police said it made no difference, and many people across the state invited legislators to come experience what a suppressor actually does, showing that it really doesn't work like in the movies. All of that be damned, they stuck to their talking points when it came to this whole issue.

I prefer progressive policies. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about that. I am for promoting the general welfare of the people by improving equity among the citizenry. I am for conservation of our natural resources and energy independence through renewable means. I want evidence based policy solutions, though. Making laws that are not rooted in evidence doesn't work and is a waste of resources.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: The political bubble and how it affects your opinion - Belsnickel - 07-22-2019, 01:08 PM