Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The political bubble and how it affects your opinion
(07-23-2019, 10:44 PM)Dill Wrote: One could argue that Nixon leaned to the left of Reagan, but that would not make him a "leftist."

No, obviously it wouldn't.  Not sure why you felt the need to add this irrelevant piece of info.

Quote:The Democratic party might "lean to the left" of the Republican, but that doesn't make them "the left."  Hence my question--who is "the left" which is retreating inside a bubble.

Seeing as we have two political parties, and the article in OP is discussing those political parties, then yes, for the purposes of this discussion the Dems are the left.  As to your question, I rather think the article answers that question, so I'm not sure why you're asking me.

Quote:To restate my bubble question: Can ANYONE follow political issues from a position outside of a bubble, ANY bubble?

For a person who apparently prides themselves on being logical and fact driven to ask a question in such absolutist terms is puzzling to say the least.

Quote:If no one can, then no one can choose to be outside bubbles altogether. I'd like that agreed/disagreed upon before any further discussion of who is "retreating" into bubbles and who is not.

Depends on what you mean by "altogether".  I'd like that agreed upon before further discussion of the point made in the article which apparently you're confusing me as the author of.

(07-23-2019, 11:12 PM)Dill Wrote: Interesting observation, the bolded. Remember when Megan Kelly called Trump out for his misogynistic tweets? That was a moment when Fox world seemed to be teetering--could have gone for or against Trump.

Yeah, I do.  I also remember absolutely no one being for Trump until he looked like he'd win.  Odd how that works, hmm? 

Quote:Looks to me like the viewership decided that. And Fox went with them.  Megan gone.

Yeah, it couldn't possibly be the boatload of cash NBC threw at her.  It was Trump that caused her exit.

Quote:This brings me to a point regarding what might be a blind spot in liberals' vision: they still can't imagine that millions upon millions of voters either cheer Trump's misogyny and racism or find it not ALL THAT objectionable, though they frequently say things like "Well, I wouldn't express myself that way."    I don't see how this squares with the OP's finding that "liberals" have underestimated Republican voters opposition to racism.

You unwittingly made the most excellent point in this thread.  You assume that Trump voters voted for him by either embracing or excusing his misogyny or racism.  Maybe they voted for him because they liked his politics more than Hillary?  You've literally hoisted yourself up as a perfect example of the author's point.  I will leave you to try and twist of this hook.  Rest assured I will enjoy watching.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The political bubble and how it affects your opinion - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-24-2019, 12:04 AM