Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The political bubble and how it affects your opinion
(07-24-2019, 12:04 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: As to your question, I rather think the article answers that question, so I'm not sure why you're asking me.

For a person who apparently prides themselves on being logical and fact driven to ask a question in such absolutist terms is puzzling to say the least.

Depends on what you mean by "altogether".  I'd like that agreed upon before further discussion of the point made in the article which apparently you're confusing me as the author of.

I rather don't think the the article answers that question, at all.

Traditional logic operates with premises and conclusions which must take the form of propositional statements, of which there are four basic kinds: All A are B, No A are B, Some A are B, Some A are not B. It does not work with "fuzzy" categories or questions or ambivalent statements.

What you mistakenly call "absolutism" is a typical effort to establish agreement about a starting point, an "All A are B" proposition. In this case, All people/voters absorbing information about politics and making judgements based thereon are always inside at least one (educational, informational, cultural) bubble. To state this as a negative, No person making political observations is outside all bubbles.

To answer your question simply and directly, a person outside all bubbles would be outside "altogether." Can we agree that is what "altogether" means in this case?

Or more to the point, can we agree that All people making political judgments are inside some bubble/none are outside all bubbles?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The political bubble and how it affects your opinion - Dill - 07-24-2019, 04:00 PM