Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The political bubble and how it affects your opinion
(07-24-2019, 12:04 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:
Quote: Wrote:This brings me to a point regarding what might be a blind spot in liberals' vision: they still can't imagine that millions upon millions of voters either cheer Trump's misogyny and racism or find it not ALL THAT objectionable, though they frequently say things like "Well, I wouldn't express myself that way."    I don't see how this squares with the OP's finding that "liberals" have underestimated Republican voters opposition to racism.

You unwittingly made the most excellent point in this thread.  You assume that Trump voters voted for him by either embracing or excusing his misogyny or racism.  Maybe they voted for him because they liked his politics more than Hillary?  You've literally hoisted yourself up as a perfect example of the author's point.  I will leave you to try and twist of this hook.  Rest assured I will enjoy watching.

Of course many or most liked his "politics" more than they "liked Hillary." She wasn't going to build a wall and make Mexico pay for it. She didn't promise to sign a "Muslim ban" on her first day in office.

If you want to "enjoy watching" as I "twist off this hook," then you need to make sure I am on a hook. You do that by demonstrating there is no ground to suppose millions of Trump voters embraced his racism and misogyny, and other millions did not find it objectionable enough to vote for someone else.  And you need to demonstrate that liberals--at least Arlie Russell, the author of your article--are not dismissing these darker motivations driving Trumpism. 

Finally, the "author's point" is exactly what is in question here. Hence my reference to a blind spot in liberal vision. Even granting generally that people have trouble seeing beyond their bubbles or retreating back into them, it's not at all clear why you are not doing exactly that in post which begins by offering a conclusion as proof and ends with an imaginary scene of enjoyment offered in place of demonstration.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The political bubble and how it affects your opinion - Dill - 07-24-2019, 04:44 PM