Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The political bubble and how it affects your opinion
(07-24-2019, 10:29 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yes, those were the only two policy differences, well argued.  We do know that you have a very pro-muslim bias, so your opinion in this regard must be regarded as skewed.

Wow.  "We" know I have a "pro-muslim bias."  So my "opinion" (argument?) MUST be "regarded as skewed"? LOL

That means what here--that Trump DIDN'T announce the goal of a Muslim ban?  Only "pro-muslim bias" makes that goal look bad?

This is an instance of how bias-hunting short circuits thinking. A previous instance would be your disqualifying reference to Netflix' "extensive ties to Obama" on the "Trump documentary" thread.

This has been a fringe right practice for decades, and is now a common feature of Trump defenses--a judge with a Mexican surname, FBI agents who contribute to Democrats, etc. 
(07-24-2019, 10:29 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You've provided zero evidence that they did.  Kind of a catch 22 for you.  I don't need to demonstrate a damn thing, you're the one making an assertion.

Quite the word pretzel here.  I'll make is simple.  The author demonstrated a clear bias towards insulation on the left (or among Dems since  the term "left" triggers you so much).  If you disagree then merely explain why.  Thanks and enjoy the rest of your day.

First of all, I'm not "the only one making an assertion." You've claimed that I have somehow proved the author's point simply by questioning it. There's your logic pretzel.

And I've already begun the process of raising questions, like these from post #30 on this thread.

I am concerned with how the OP/Common Ground has framed the issue using poll results. We are told in the Common Ground poll that 79% of Republicans think racism is still a problem in the US.  But 57% agree with Trump's tweets against the squad, according to a USA Today poll.https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/07/17/trump-tweets-poll-unamerican-offensive-partisan-divide/1748737001/. Only 45% found the tweets "racist."

And a Marist poll showed that Trump's popularity increased after the tweets. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2019/07/22/trump-approval-rating-new-high-npr-pbs-poll-after-racist-tweets/1796556001/.

These are not fringe numbers. So if one asks people "Is racism still a problem today?" there need be some further qualifying questions to ascertain what they mean by this. E.g., Dems could mean that racism, as in discrimination against minorities (especially black), is still with us. Others could mean that whites are now more discriminated against (like Christians! lol).  So if Dems guess that only 50% of Republicans think racism is a problem, as Dems understand racism, they might not be so far off as 79% suggests.

Also, when formulating poll questions, it is good to remember that Americans as a group sound "progressive" when asked about principles. E.g., is equality good, racism bad etc. But when you ask about specific policies or cases, results are often flipped, as we have seen with the Trump tweets.

Which is to say, I am not finding "clear demonstration of bias towards insulation on the left." If I have time tomorrow, I'll add another test of "left insulation"--a comparison of how the "Russia hoax" figures in various bubbles.

You appear ready to use the claims without question, perhaps as an easy means of linking people to "bias" with labels like "the left"?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The political bubble and how it affects your opinion - Dill - 07-24-2019, 11:21 PM