Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The political bubble and how it affects your opinion
(07-24-2019, 11:21 PM)Dill Wrote: Wow.  "We" know I have a "pro-muslim bias."  So my "opinion" (argument?) MUST be "regarded as skewed"? LOL

As you have previously argued, we have only your history to go on.  One could very easily infer such.  Maybe if you typed "LOL" a few more times that would make this less true?

Quote:That means what here--that Trump DIDN'T announce the goal of a Muslim ban?  Only "pro-muslim bias" makes that goal look bad?

He did announce it and no, your bias doesn't change that.  He also didn't implement it.

Quote:This is an instance of how bias-hunting short circuits thinking. A previous instance would be your disqualifying reference to Netflix' "extensive ties to Obama" on the "Trump documentary" thread.

No, Netflix has a left leaning agenda.  By default this makes them more pro-Obama.  Seeing as I am not inherently anti-Obama I'm not sure what accusation you're trying to make.

Quote:First of all, I'm not "the only one making an assertion." Hence the reference to a conclusion offered as proof.

And I've already begun the process of raising questions, like these from post #30 on this thread.

I am concerned with how the OP/Common Ground has framed the issue using poll results. We are told in the Common Ground poll that 79% of Republicans think racism is still a problem in the US.  But 57% agree with Trump's tweets against the squad, according to a USA Today poll.https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/07/17/trump-tweets-poll-unamerican-offensive-partisan-divide/1748737001/. Only 45% found the tweets "racist."

And a Marist poll showed that Trump's popularity increased after the tweets. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2019/07/22/trump-approval-rating-new-high-npr-pbs-poll-after-racist-tweets/1796556001/.

These are not fringe numbers. So if one asks people "Is racism still a problem today?" there need be some further qualifying questions to ascertain what they mean by this. E.g., Dems could mean that racism, as in discrimination against minorities (especially black), is still with us. Others could mean that whites are now more discriminated against (like Christians! lol).  So if Dems guess that only 50% of Republicans think racism is a problem, as Dems understand racism, they might not be so far off as 79% suggests.

Also, when formulating poll questions, it is good to remember that Americans as a group sound "progressive" when asked about principles. E.g., is equality good, racism bad etc. But when you ask about specific policies or cases, results are often flipped, as we have seen with the Trump tweets.

Oh, you're including the author of the author of the article in OP in your assertion?  I'm afraid they don't post here.  Mellow

Quote:Which is to say, I am not finding "clear demonstration of bias towards insulation on the left." If I have time tomorrow, I'll add another test of "left insulation"--a comparison of how the "Russia hoax" figures in various bubbles.

The left leaning author of the article in OP did.

Quote:You appear ready to use the claims without question, perhaps as an easy means of linking people to "bias" with labels like "the left"?

Yes, when comparing Republican to Democrats I am very comfortable describing Democrats as left leaning.  The fact that you do not seems to be indicative of a failure to understand basic American politics (which would honestly explain a lot).  I put the article out there for discussion, I didn't realize it would whip you into such a froth, I do humbly apologize (maybe it was the muslim bias thing that hit too close to home?).  In any event, please do enhance your calm and hopefully return to us tomorrow able to discuss this issue in a rational, adult manner.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The political bubble and how it affects your opinion - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-24-2019, 11:35 PM