Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking control of the division
(10-01-2015, 03:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And he did that from the shotgun.

His current problems getting rolling have nothing to do with Bengals playing in the shotgun.
False.

Here are Hill's split stats from 2014 and shows that he ran from the shotgun only 355 times, as opposed to 355 times from the I formation and 495 times from a lone setback.

Come on, Fred, I thought you were done tossing out false information and assuming people were too stupid to know the difference.
(10-01-2015, 03:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If every play we ran was a dive into the middle of the line then you might have a point.  But when Dalton is under center and we run off tackle or wider Hill has to wait for Dalton to reach him with the ball.

As for giving the defense more time to commit there is absolutely nothing to that.  Defensive players have assignments and responsibilities that do not change no matter who gets the ball or where they get it.  When the ball is snapped D-linemen don't just stand there waiting to decide where to go or what to do based on what the offense does.

I noted that it wasn't a dive into the middle of the line, which you conveniently ignored.

He's running forward, but usually at an angle off-tackle or even wide or even just outside of the middle.  The same link from above shows that he only ran 26 times to the "middle," as opposed to 196 times outside of that.

Defensive players have assignments, but they wait to see what's going on in a play and have to get in position whether it's a run or pass, which they can more easily tell from the shotgun, as I mentioned.  If the QB turns like he's going to hand it to the back, the backers have to get in position to tackle him, take on blockers, or guard the cut-back while also being in position to possibly make the tackle.  In a shotgun, even if the QB motions like he's going to hand it to the back, the backers don't have to commit right away because there's no rush with the back being so deep in the backfield and not running full speed when he would get the ball.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Taking control of the division - Utts - 09-30-2015, 11:08 PM
RE: Taking control of the division - BFritz21 - 10-01-2015, 04:21 PM