Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nearly 30 dead as multiple mass shootings hit across the US
I have thought a lot about this, and I believe I said it after Vegas, but the 2nd Amendment doesn't protect the capacity of the weapons or their rate of fire. Stopping actual shootings is a very complex problem that I'm not sure we can actually prevent at this point. What we can do is minimize damage. In Dayton he shot 36 people in 30 seconds...that shouldn't happen, that can't happen. That kind of response time by police is almost unheard of and the shooter still hit 36 people and killing 9. We ca't allow people access to firearms that can deal that much damage that quickly.

I am not saying round up all the guns, that isn't legal or feasible. It is important to protect people's rights to self protection, hunting, etc., which is why I believe there should be a ban placed on all magazine capable fire arms. Only firearms that hold 8 rounds or less and use a pump/revolver/ bolt action would be legal. This allows people to still do all the things needed under the second amendment, but in these events limits the amount of damage that can be dealt out. I understand something like this would cause outrage among gun enthusiasts, but their hobby is not worth people's lives.

The U.S. Government would buy back all banned firearms over a two year period after which the possession of such firearms would become illegal. The penalty for possessing a banned firearm would be a felony with 10 years in prison. Don't tell me bad guys won't follow the rules, almost all fire arms used in these events are legally bought not some back alley filed down serial number gun. Laws in general aren't there for the ones who wish to follow them, but rather to punish those who choose not to.

If we only made laws people followed there would be no laws. It's time to stop making excuses for why we can't do anything and start doing something.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nearly 30 dead as multiple mass shootings hit across the US - Au165 - 08-05-2019, 09:41 AM