Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nearly 30 dead as multiple mass shootings hit across the US
(08-05-2019, 11:18 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Two shooters, one fueled by right win ideology the other by left. The El Paso shooter claimed to be inspired by the Christchurch shooter's manifesto.  The thing about that is the expressed purpose of using firearms in the act were so the left would clamp down with tighter gun laws and polarize the country even more, with the expressed purpose of starting a civil war.  In New Zealand at least, the government was only too happy to comply with the killer's desires.

I am interested, for those who propose them, what exact gun control measures do you propose and would they have stopped these events?

Knowing your stance and penchant for informed, civil debate on the issue, I was actually going to engage you in a similar question SSF.  "what would it take for you to agree to gun control legislation"  But the parameters or specific legislation need to be set for that question to be answered.

To start with your question - I would want stricter background checks, where someone who has shown a proclivity towards violence would be kept from purchasing guns; an end to the swap meet loophole; a universal database tracking gun owners and their guns; and a much much more intensive background checks on weapons capable of inflicting harm at mass shooting levels.  (As I have stated in the past I have a friend who has a litany of very powerful guns, but goes through extra scrutiny at the federal level to acquire them, sometimes taking acquisition a year or more. I don't think that is unreasonable and will help keep these firearms out of the hands of the wrong people.)  

As to whether this would have stopped these occurances.  I would say they probably would have were they inacted 10+ years ago when this conversation was taking place at that time.  Both of these individuals have made comments (El Paso) or have been watched by the police (Dayton) which could have kept these firearms out of their hands.  Regardless of if it would stem these specific events, I am sure these reasonable laws would save some lives in the future.  That is hard to deny imho.

Quick question, what is the source of this comment?  Genuine.  
Quote:Two shooters, one fueled by right win ideology the other by left.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nearly 30 dead as multiple mass shootings hit across the US - Vas Deferens - 08-05-2019, 11:33 AM