Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nearly 30 dead as multiple mass shootings hit across the US
(08-05-2019, 12:08 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I detect a hint of sarcasm, but I am capable of being as rational on this subject as the person I am discussing the subject with.

Absolutely not.  I value your opinion on these matters just as I did roto in the past.  

Quote:I have zero issue with background checks, never have.  The problem with your suggestion is how to do gather the information needed to implement your more thorough check?  Unless a person has had formal contact with law enforcement or mental health professionals there's no way, outside of truly invasive spying, to accrue this information.  I have to say, there is no swap meet of gun show "loophole".  This is a made up talking point.  What this really is a a private party transfer, i.e. a private citizen selling a gun to another private citizen.  This can take place anywhere.  If you buy a firearm at a gunshow from a FFL you still fill out all the relevant paperwork. 

My nomenclature is sub-optimal, I will admit.  But yes, I believe private party sales need to be tracked as well, especially in the case of higher power weapons.  

Quote: Lastly, a year?  That's insane.

He's bought some higher-end milspec things that have involved additional layers of background check.  I'm not sure the name of the process, but its real and he doesn't have any problem with it because...  well he's a model citizen who just like to shoot these things and has the vast amounts of disposable income to procur them.  I know there is an element of 'if the shit hits the fan' ideology in his outlook, but I'm certain its 100% self preservation, which I completely understand given the world we live in.

Quote:As to the El Paso shooter, where were his comments made and how could such comments come to the attention of authorities?  What you're advocating may (would?) result in an invasion of privacy on par with the PRC.  How did the Ohio shooter come to the attention of authorities?
Agree with the invasion of privacy to some extent.  But if you want something that high power, maybe elements of you privacy need to be forfeited?  I'm not all to sure on that front to be honest.
Ohio shooter was suspended from HS for having a 'hit list' and was on the police'd radar.  Which is why I beleive they were so quick to state "there is nothing in his past that would KEEP him from procuring this weapon"  (sic)
Quote:I admittedly haven't read much on either shooting, I had company in from out of town.  One source made mention that the Ohio shooter was a huge Warren supporter with commensurate political leanings posted on his social media.

Not sure how Warren's ideological rhetoric would be forwarded by an attack like this...  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nearly 30 dead as multiple mass shootings hit across the US - Vas Deferens - 08-05-2019, 12:23 PM