Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nearly 30 dead as multiple mass shootings hit across the US
(08-05-2019, 02:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: As usual, there are a lot of discussions about policy options intended to reduce gun violence in the country. A lot of them sound good, but we don't know if they will have any impact, let alone a significant one. This is why the most important thing we can do right now is promote research into firearm violence so that policy solutions can be thoroughly examined. Even the ones I have proposed are admittedly based on small scale studies lacking in the resources, depth, and comprehensiveness of studies into other issues.

This is a result of the Dickey Amendment that has stopped the CDC from researching gun violence since 1996. Last year, it was clarified that the amendment does not actually prevent research, only using it to promote gun control, though this clarification did not come with any more earmarked for the research. This year, Democrats in Congress currently have budgeted $50M for this research, but it isn't likely to pass the GOP controlled Senate. I sincerely encourage everyone to contact their folks in Congress to show support for this funding into gun violence.

Evidence based policy solutions are the best way to proceed, but we need that evidence first. Whether you are for or against gun control, this should be something to get behind.

The problem is neither side trusts the other.  The GOP thinks that the Dems will use any results to push for tighter gun control.  Given that they have the ability to stop this course of action they are taking it.  I honestly don't know what such research would even find that would pass constitutional scrutiny.  I think the money would probably be better spent on analyzing the motivations of these shooters, understanding them and trying to prevent them with targeted mental health, or other, services.  Guns have been part of this nation since its founding, the mass shooting problem is a recent development.  Clearly guns didn't create the problem, they just allow the violence to be enacted.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nearly 30 dead as multiple mass shootings hit across the US - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 08-05-2019, 05:05 PM