Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nearly 30 dead as multiple mass shootings hit across the US
(08-07-2019, 04:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think the far right brand of terrorism is what is most often discussed.  Although they often have white supremacist leanings they are not inextricably linked.  One can be rabidly anti-government and have no racist component to their radicalization.  Do we know this hasn't been given the attention it deserves or is this speculation?  It seems to me that Federal law enforcement has stopped several far right terror plots of late so they obviously aren't ignoring it.

That was my speculation, though there is some evidence of that being the case: https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2019-08-05/trump-officials-have-redirected-resources-from-countering-far-right-racism-fueled-domestic-terrorism

I also heard a discussion with a former member of the NSC who was there during the first year of the administration and he discussed the difficulty and reluctance of the administration to focus on the issue.

(08-07-2019, 04:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I know you aren't making this claim, but this statement is so insanely inflammatory (and highly unlikely IMO) that I'm going to need a source or I'm calling complete BS.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/fbi-faces-skepticism-over-its-anti-domestic-terror-efforts/2019/08/04/c9c928bc-b6e0-11e9-b3b4-2bb69e8c4e39_story.html

Quote:Some veteran counterterrorism experts said the FBI and the federal government have done too little, despite concerns that have been building for more than a decade.

Dave Gomez, a former FBI supervisor who oversaw terrorism cases, said he thinks FBI officials are wary of pursuing white nationalists aggressively because of the fierce political debates surrounding the issue.

“I believe Christopher A. Wray is an honorable man, but I think in many ways the FBI is hamstrung in trying to investigate the white supremacist movement like the old FBI would,” Gomez said. “There’s some reluctance among agents to bring forth an investigation that targets what the president perceives as his base. It’s a no-win situation for the FBI agent or supervisor.”

Gomez said that reluctance stems in large part from the public criticism President Trump has launched against the FBI over the course of the bureau’s investigation into Russian election interference and the president’s ­conduct.

(08-07-2019, 04:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think it's some of that.  It's also a way to indirectly, and directly, attack Trump and influence public opinion going into 2020.

Oh, absolutely. Of course, when his own administration is who is saying that it is the greatest domestic terrorism threat (though the statement was later clarified, I just discovered) it's going to be a big part of the news, as well.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nearly 30 dead as multiple mass shootings hit across the US - Belsnickel - 08-07-2019, 04:22 PM