Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Immigration Changes (Green Card Rules)
(08-20-2019, 08:20 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Well yea. I mean anything that is based on wealth is going to be inherently drawing a line racially as well. European (and therefore, white) history is basically a collection of stories of the various colored people that white people robbed over the years, whether it be of their countries' resources, treasures, land, labor or people, so if you're going to base your immigration off of wealth, the majority of people will be white.

Is that intentional? I believe it is. I don't think it's a coincidence that Trump would love more immigrants from Norway rather than Mexico or any African country. 

But this is what's been going on with the far right for quite a while now.

Since the Civil War at least. When the Civil Rights act of 1866 and the 14th Amendment made it impossible to discriminate directly by race, southern politicians began legal innovation to create discriminating laws without reference to race.  Voting laws continue this tradition in many places, proposing ID qualifications and time limits and the like which affect one demographic more than another.

So that is what I am thinking of in the case of these immigration changes. They look to me like a continuation of this particular legal tradition. 

And anyone who raises this history and this issue could then be framed as playing "the race card" when there is no mention of "race" at all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Immigration Changes (Green Card Rules) - Dill - 08-20-2019, 09:33 AM