Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Campaign funding struggles for AOC..
(08-20-2019, 01:25 PM)hollodero Wrote: Nah, I find that too easy an explanation. E.g. I also blame other aspects of american exceptionalism for that, as well as your political system and your voting system and whatnot.
The media often nut just creates, but also reflects divisions.

The media plays a huge role. Social media is included in that. Go out and talk to your neighbor. It's amazing what a little respect and human decency will do in a political discussion. I agree that the two party system has contributed a lot to the problem. 

Quote:That's also fair enough. It probably isn't. It's difficult though, how else to go about it? I wouldn't know how one could do that in that climate using reason. Reason's not popular. 

Like I said, talking to people face to face is the way to go. I think reason is a lot more popular than you realize. What has worked for me is focusing on the benefits of renewable energy. There are multiple reasons that renewable energy is good besides climate change. 

Quote:And though it might be petty, I take issue with the words "equally crazy". To bore you with an explanation, to me pre-Trump one of the craziest things about US politics were those climate change denying republicans that held hearings with scientists in the clear intent to expose them as frauds - by something clever they bring up, like how global wobbling is not part of the models, hence the models are worthless and it took that one republican guy to prove it. Or the guys that go to congress with a snowball in their hands, or that guy with the glass and the ice cubes. There's a long list of absurd there actually. That is crazy denial. Some over the top proposals are not "equally crazy", for at least they accept reality as a basis.

Sorry about the bunch of words, but though I don't have too many issues with conservatives to begin with, that ridiculous flat-out climate change denial - paired with conspiracy theories about the "fraud science" - sported by so many of them really ticks me off.

To each their own, but I definitely would call an economy wrecking proposal "equally crazy". Now it is just a non-binding resolution, so arguing costs isn't super realistic, but then it begs the question...why even propose it? Like I've said there are other ways to start a discussion on climate change. The GND is meant to further the divide. Not bring people to common ground. 

According to a gallup poll. 60% of Americans support reducing fossil fuel consumption with only 17% "strongly opposed". There is common ground to be found. It's there. Insane over-the-top proposals aren't the way to reach it. 
https://news.gallup.com/poll/248006/americans-support-reducing-fossil-fuel.aspx
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Campaign funding struggles for AOC.. - Aquapod770 - 08-20-2019, 01:51 PM