Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump phones NRA to tell them he will oppose universal checks that 90% of US supports
(08-20-2019, 10:49 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Constitutional rights aren't negotiable.  Especially as universal background checks would not have stopped one mass shooter on record as almost every single one of them acquired their firearm legally.  Here's a test of how much people really want universal background checks.  How about we sign them into law along with repealing the NFA and outlawing any future ban by weapon type for the next 100 years?  Acceptable?

I think universal background checks are viewed by many Americans as the absolute bare minimum that should be done. There are other measures that are supported at lesser degrees, like banning the purchase of high capacity magazines or banning the purchase of certain kinds of Long Guns, especially Semi-Automatic Rifles (I know "Assault Rifle" is the most popular term, but I don't think it's a particularly accurate name for the weapons being used in these shootings). The most extreme measures are making owning a Semi-Automatic Long Gun of any kind illegal, resulting in prison time if you are caught with one in your possession.

I personally think banning any kind of gun or making them illegal is an extreme measure that would not end well in any regard if it was attempted. But banning  high capacity magazines and requiring background checks in any scenario of purchasing a firearm are good measures to at least decrease the number of mass shootings in this country.

I think the biggest step, that is beginning to take shape, is that threats on the internet need to be taken seriously. I saw a report just yesterday that a 15 year old threatened on some online platform that he intended to bring his Dad's gun to school and kill at least 7 people.
And was arrested for it.
[/url][url=https://abcnews.go.com/US/joke-types-comments-felonies-police-arrest-florida-teen/story?id=65070169]https://abcnews.go.com/US/joke-types-comments-felonies-police-arrest-florida-teen/story?id=65070169

Taking "jokes" seriously is going to be a very important change that should stem the tide of these shootings. It feels a little Big Brother-ish to arrest people based on things they've said online but in today's age...I dunno. If you don't want to take away the tools, you gotta do something about the users, I guess.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump phones NRA to tell them he will oppose universal checks that 90% of US supports - CJD - 08-21-2019, 09:07 AM